iPinit: Homemade Kahula   

Monday, December 3, 2012

Homemade Kahula


Homemade Kahlua



2 - 1.75 liter bottles Cruzan dark rum from St. Croix (I like this one because it is dark and has a wonderful flavor but is not a spiced rum)

6 - cups of sugar

3 - cups instant coffee (I used Nescafé dark roast)

3 - cups brown sugar

1.5 ounces pure vanilla

8 - cups water

Start by combining both bottles of Cruzan rum and 2 cups of instant coffee in a large pot or bowl.
Stir. Cover and let sit for three days in cool dark place.

After three days you are ready for step two.

Place 6 cups of water in a pot on medium heat. Do not let the water boil.

Place 6 cups of plain white sugar in a large pot. Place on stove top at medium heat. (Depending on your stove, you may need to increase or reduce the heat. I have a glass top so I needed my heat on high.) Stir sugar constantly until it is completely melted. (With my stove, it took me about 20 minutes.) You will have a nice honey brown syrup.
Remove from heat. SLOWLY add the hot water a cup at a time. Be careful not to splash. (HOT SUGAR makes nasty burns.) This will make a sizzling sound and the sugar will bubble and steam. (I wore oven mitts because it was HOT) Continue to add until all of the water is mixed with the sugar.

In he same pot that you had the water in, place 3 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of instant coffee and 2 cups of water. Heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the brown sugar water to the rum mixture.

Add the vanilla.

Viola! You have Kahlua!

I bought some really pretty bottles at Hobby Lobby and bottled mine for gifts.

Enjoy!

Ciao for now!

Kris


1 comment:

  1. Great recipe that I will have to try. And I especially love the decanters you put the Kahula in. What a great idea for a hostess gift.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete